In association with Nick D’Virgilio and Sweetwater, Modern Drummer will be sharing a series of fantastic play-through videos from Nick’s brand-new album Invisible [Sweetwater Studios], starting today with “Turn Your Life Around.”
But, first, the backstory — because it’s one hell of a saga.
For many musicians who commit to making an album, it’s a huge undertaking to write the songs, get into the studio, set up the gear, and record the tracks as passionately and flawlessly as possible.
Apparently, that wasn’t enough for Nick.
• He decided to record each of the 12 songs that feature drums with an entirely different drum kit, or a mixture of bits and pieces. It got wackier. He also used different cymbals, different heads, and even different drumsticks.
• He not only documented each of these rigs on video, but also played through the songs, breaking down the gear choices and the grooves.
• A short documentary about the making of the album — conceptually, technically, and production-wise — was filmed, with the involvement of director Nigel Dick. That’s not some hack, either, kids. Nigel has done a few things — such as some iconic music videos for Band Aid (“Do They Know IT’s Christmas?”), Guns N’ Roses (“Sweet Child o’ Mine”), Oasis (“Wonderwall”), Britney Spears (“Oop! I Did It Again”), Cher (“Believe”), and many others in a career highlighted with numerous MTV, Billboard, and Grammy nominations and awards.
• Although all of the main rhythm-section recording was done at Sweetwater’s state-of-the-art studio in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for the album’s orchestral tracks, the team moved to a little studio called Abbey Road in London.
• Noted guest stars included Rick Nielsen, Jordan Rudess, Tony Levin, Paul Gilbert, Carl Verheyen, and Michael Omartian.
• Finally, who goes to the trouble of undertaking a factory tour at the microphone company whose mics you used to record every track? (Do you really need a hint?) Yes, the team visited the DPA Microphones facility in Denmark, and documented the manufacturing and testing processes, as well.
Want to see/hear what all of this is about?
WATCH “TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND”
MORE INFO ABOUT NICK