With the holiday season upon us, there’s no better time to step back and look at all the different gift options that are available. In this first installment of our 2015 holiday buyer’s guide, we specifically want to focus on drummer gifts that are under $20. These items are perfect accessories and supplements to the life of a drummer. From drum dampening systems to educational materials, there are a ton of options from which to choose. Here are twenty of our favorites.
by Miguel Monroy
1) Moongel Damper Pads – These blue little rectangles of sticky goodness started a revolution of resonance control back in the day. They quickly became a go-to product for reliable, consistent results, and have continued to remain important for many drummers over the years.
2) Vater Buzz Kill – These offer an alternative to Moongel, as they provide resonance control without the blue residue, and are available in two different weights.
3) DrumTacs – This next generation dampening device gives you the freedom of controlling unwanted overtones and resonance as you place the pad on a head, under a head, or even under a cymbal.
4) Drum Clip – These are easy to remove and replace, extremely durable, and flawlessly reliable. Though a bit more expensive and not adjustable, they offer a consistent long-term solution for resonance control.
5) Booty Shakers – These will put a little more thump in the rump of your toms and snares, as they enhance low-end frequencies by creating a soft buffer between the drum and the snare basket.
6) Cympad – Cellular foam cymbal washers designed to “Optimize your cymbal sound.” Available in several different options to provide different degrees of cymbal suspension and isolation.
7) Evans EQ Pad – Another industry standard that has provided an affordable, adjustable, and especially a reliable bass drum dampening solution.
8) Zildjian Drummer’s Survival Kit – This pack offers all those hard-to-find items that seem to go missing right before your practice or gig.
9) Stick Holder – Though having a stick bag is great for keeping sticks close by, it often leaves one side of your kit with little backup options. Use this Vic Firth stick holder to keep some sticks handy under your hi-hat or on a cymbal stand. Other options are also available from Vater, Promark, and On Stage.
10) Drink Holder – We all know that drummers work hard when they’re behind the kit, so do yourself a solid and keep a drink within arms length with a cool drink holder from Vater or Gibraltar.
11) Gibraltar Drill Bit Drum Key – If you’re staring down a seven-piece kit with replacement heads in hand, there’s no faster way to get those old heads off than with a drill bit drum key. Options are also available from DW and Evans.
12) Evans Torque Key – The handle can be set to your desired tension for more consistent tuning, while the magnetic head also helps to prevent it from flying off the tension rod.
13) Gibraltar Ratchet Key – Although it’s not as fast as the drill bit, it’s certainly more convenient to carry around than a drill and still makes drumhead changes pretty darn fast. It’s easy to throw in your stick bag and keep close by for emergencies.
14) Dixon Brite Key – In one item you can have a drum key, bottle opener, and light. It’s perfect for tuning in those dark areas on stage, and opening up a cold drink after the show.
15) GrooveTech Drum Multi-Tool – For anyone making consistent adjustments and repairs to drum equipment, this is for you. It’s basically the Swiss Army Knife of drum tools and includes screwdrivers, hex wrenches, and drum keys all in one place. And to make things even cooler, it’s crafted out of heat-treated S2 alloy.
16) Promark Cymbal Sizzler – It’s simple, cheap, and super cool. Add a sizzle effect to any cymbal with ease by adding the sizzler. Use it for a song or an entire set.
17) Aquarian kickPATCH – Break a bass drum head in the middle of a gig? No problem! The kickPATCH allows you to easily repair the head to get you through the show.
18.) Apple/Android Store Gift Certificates – Check out our article on 9 iOS Apps Every Drummer Should Know for some examples of great options to help people function and grow in their lives as drummers.
19.) MD Classic Cover Posters – With several options to choose from, you can have a poster of the most iconic and influential drummers of all time. Available in the MD shop. Options include drum greats like Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Neil Peart, Jeff Porcaro, Stewart Copeland, and more.
20.) Method Books – Regardless of what your passion is, from double bass madness to jazz independence, Modern Drummer has a wide selection of method book options that are sure to give you something new to learn. Check out our entire book selection in the MD shop.
Modern Drummer Special Offers