Jerry Gaskill of King’s X Drummer Blog

Hi MD readers! Let’s start by saying 2012 started off great. In January, I flew to Nashville to begin working on my second solo record with my friend/collaborator/producer, D A Karkos.

Now let me backtrack just a bit. Near the end of 2011, my friend Ed Frost, whom I’ve known since he was born, invited me to a Philadelphia Eagles game. We started talking about the record I’d been trying to make, and he asked what it would take to do it. I told him, and he said, “I can do that!” However, on February 26, 2012, I died. I had a massive heart attack. I spent two weeks or so in an induced coma. As I lay there with tubes and things attached to me to keep me alive, I was living an entire other reality. (More on that at another time.) On March 23, 2012, I left the hospital and came home determined to be better than ever. I believe I’m well on my way to that, and in many ways have accomplished, and even surpassed, some of my goals.

On April 4, 2012, my wife’s sister and husband brought us a dog back from Puerto Rico. Her name is Titi, and I fell in love with her. (You can check out a photo at My good friends Tim and Nancy Jones got married on August 4, 2012. My son Joey (check out his band Recovery Room at and his lovely girlfriend, Tiffany, came from Houston to attend the wedding and stayed with us for three days. What a wonderful and priceless time that was. On September 1, 2012, I flew to Las Vegas and got married to the girl I fell in love with the moment I laid my eyes on her over ten years ago. We went to the Little White Wedding Chapel Drive-Thru. Absolutely incredible!

On September 12, 2012, King’s X kicked off on a short tour with the legendary band Kansas in NYC. This was my first show since I died. Just a few months earlier, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get on a stage again, or if I even wanted to. My thoughts after the show? I can do this!

Hurricane Sandy hit on October 29, 2012 and made its way all along the east coast, causing destruction and devastation everywhere in its wake. My wife, Julie, and I were one of her victims. We lost practically everything we owned, as did thousands of others. I think Julie summed it up the best. She said, “What a banner year it’s been for us. First you died, then we got married, and now we’re homeless.”

So, there you go. That’s my year in a nutshell. I am very hopeful and again feel as though everything will be better than ever. Nature teaches us all things, and in nature it is always darkest before the dawn. 2013 will start with me flying back to Nashville to continue on that second Jerry Gaskill solo record. I will do the drums at legendary producer/engineer Michael Wagener’s WireWorld Studios, and then I’ll go to D A Karkos’s UnderDog Studio to do whatever else. Some very exciting surprises await us all.


2013, bring it on!


For more on Jerry Gaskill visit