(Available digitally December 30, 2014; on newsstands January 6, 2015)
On the Cover
King Crimson’s Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison, and Bill Rieflin
“It’s doing everything that drummers normally do, but in an entirely di fferent way.” So says Bill Rie flin, the latest drummer to join the venerated progressive-rock group led by guitarist Robert Fripp. And “different” is certainly what we’ve come to expect from the professor and his revolving cast of musical brothers—though no one could have predicted the sheer magnitude of KC’s latest percussive onslaught. By Michael Parillo.
Get Good Hang Chops: The other social media
Catching Up With… Terry Bozzion /// Steve Gorman /// Prairie Prince
Understand Indian Rhythmic Concepts These waters are deep—are you ready?
Greg Morrow Hangin’ with a first-call Nashville vet.
Chaun Dupre Horton He’s all about moving feet—and emotions.
Carmine Covelli Positive vibrations with the Julie Ruin.
Up & Coming Kelis’s Brittany Brooks is ready for takeoff.
Basics: The Lindy Beat
The Grooviest of Early Rock ’n’ Roll Rhythms – by Rich Redmond (Click here for supplemental video content)
Jazz Drummer’s Workshop: Tony Williams’ Fives
How to Master Fast Five-Note Ride Patterns – by Greg Sundel
Strictly Technique: Consecutive Flams
Part 3: Inverted Motion – by Bill Bachman
Rock ’n’ Jazz Clinic: Odd Groupings Over Samba
Combining Concepts for Creative Coordination Development – by Mike Johnston (Click here for supplemental video content)
Concepts: Creating Opportunity
Five Key Components for the Working Drummer – by Russ Miller
• Premier Modern Classic Club Drumset (Click here for supplemental video content)
• Kellers Magnum Series Drum Shells
• Tama 40th Anniversary Superstar Reissue Snare (Click here for supplemental video content)
• Paiste PST7 Series Cymbals
• Eccentric Systems FlatHeadz Hoops
• Big Fat Snare Drum Mufflers
Electronic Insights: Drum Miking 101
• Part 2: Two-Microphone Setups – by John Emrich (Click here for supplemental video content)
• Get the Sound You Want From Your Drums! Part 2: Drumset Tuning
• Rise Against’s Brandon Barnes
New and Notable
AN EDITOR’S OVERVIEW
Quick Touring Tips by Michael Dawson
It’s Questionable Mind Matters: The Approach-Avoidance Confliict
Showcase Featuring Drum Market
Critique Featuring Taking the Reins
In Memoriam Idris Muhammad – by Stanton Moore
Kit of the Month Psychedelic ’60s