Guitar Center to Launch Its First Musician’s Expo
Guitar Center to Showcase the Latest Music Products Shown at the NAMM Trade Show in January, Offering the Public Unprecedented Access to Preview Products Before They Hit Guitar Center Stores Later This Year
Guitar Center Musician’s Expo Opens to the Public on Saturday, April 6, at the Long Beach Convention Center – Tickets Available At All SoCal Guitar Center Retail Locations Starting Tuesday, March 19
Guitar Center is slated to launch their first-ever musical takeover of the Long Beach Convention Center, giving the public a chance to preview the latest products from the world’s top music manufacturers on Saturday, April 6, 2013. Advertisement
Inspired by the new products and expertise of the manufacturer representatives on hand at January’s annual National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) trade show, Guitar Center set off to re-create the experience for its customers this spring. Through long-standing vendor relationships and placement amongst the diverse and ever-growing Southern California music scene, the retailer has gathered more than 60 of the world’s top music instrument and accessory brands, ranging from Martin and Fender to Casio, Roland, DW, Bose, Pioneer and more, to bring the NAMM experience to the upcoming Musician’s Expo.
Guitar Center’s Musician’s Expo gives the public a sneak peek at the best of next season’s music gear from the music instrument industry’s leading manufacturers, along with artist workshops, group lessons, panel discussions and more, all at one location. On Saturday, April 6 attendees will be able to get a first glimpse while testing an array of musical instruments and accessories not-yet-available in stores and only previously seen by industry-insiders and retail buyers at the recent NAMM trade show. Just as in Guitar Center retail store locations, attendees of Guitar Center Musician’s Expo will be encouraged to pick up and play the display items, interact with the new equipment and connect with the expert representatives at each brand booth.
The Musician’s Expo will also feature the exclusive Guitar Center Legends Collection showcasing three legendary guitars representing pivotal moments in rock and roll history. Expo-attendees will get a first-hand look two authentic Eric Clapton iconic guitars including his famous “Blackie®” Fender Stratocaster guitar which defined the Clapton sound for most of the ’70s and early ’80s, as well as Clapton’s vibrant red Gibson ES-335 that he played with The Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Blind Faith, and throughout his solo career. The Guitar Center Legends Collection will also showcase the only guitar from Stevie Ray Vaughan’s estate to become publicly available, the personalized “Lenny” Fender Stratocaster guitar, named for the late-musician’s wife Lenora. All three guitars were purchased by Guitar Center through special Christies auctions benefiting Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Centre Foundation, “Blackie®,” “ES-335” and “Lenny” for $959,500, $847,500 and $623,500 respectively. Advertisement
Guitar Center Musician’s Expo
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2013
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Long Beach Convention Center
300 E Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90802
Available at all Southern California stores for $5 pre-sale starting Tuesday, March 19 and on event-date at the Long Beach Convention Center for $10
Musician’s Expo Guitar Center Artist Workshops – free with admission:
- 11:00 a.m. – Artist workshop with jazz drummer Chad Wackerman (Bill Watrous Band, Frank Zappa), featuring jazz-fusion artist Allan Holdsworth and electric bass player and Yellowjackets founder, Jimmy Haslip (Kiss, Anita Baker)
- Noon – Artist workshop with Mix Master Mike, renowned DJ whose worked with musicians from Dr. Dre to Travis Barker
- 1:00 p.m. – Artist workshop with Derek Sherinian, keyboardist who has toured and recorded for Alice Cooper, Billy Idol, Kiss, and more
- 2:00 p.m. – Artist workshop with Jane’s Addiction drummer Stephen Perkins, featuring fretless bass guitarist Tony Franklin (Jimmy Page, Kate Bush) and Grammy-winning upright bass player Rob Wasserman (Lou Reed, Elvis Costello)
- 3:00 p.m. – DJ workshop with DJ Qbert, winner of America’s Best DJ 2010, Qbert started DJing in FM20 with Mix Master Mike and DJ Apollo in 1990
- 4:00 p.m. – Artist workshop hosted by drummer Gil Sharone (Dillinger Escape Plan, +44) and joined by musicians Chino Marion, Todd Wilkinson, and Chuck Doom
Musician’s Expo Group Clinics – free with admission + instruments and equipment provided:
- Free Recording Made Easy classes hosted by AVID featuring Pro Tools 9
- Free Group Guitar Lessons
- Free Group Ukulele lessons
The Sessions – free with expo admission and registration at thesessions.org
- An insightful and educational music industry panel discussion dedicated to empowering musicians and giving artists the skills they need to achieve their goals music business – thesessions.org
Additional Expo Highlights: Advertisement
- Event attendees and fans can enter to win Guitar Center’s $4,500 Guitar Center Dream Shopping Spree
- Guitar Center’s Music Market Place a small Guitar Center pop-up shop at the Musician’s Expo